Blog Sale

Sunday 17 April 2011

Skincare - How much is too much?

I’ve been a dreadful blogger recently thinks to having zero free time! Adryen is moving (closer to me, yay!) so I’ve been viewing houses with him and working lots of extra hours at work – I’ve found that only having one day off in a week kinda sucks :(

Because I’ve been so busy over the last few weeks I’ve had some serious trouble dragging myself out of bed… I'd hit my snooze button so many times I basically had to choose between brushing my hair and brushing my teeth. Never an easy choice but I decided on minty fresh breath and a slightly messy natural up-do :)

Having so little time in the mornings has got me thinking about which products I’d consider “essential”… I've been told to use numerous different lotions and potions for all my skin concerns (by various sales assistants, magazine articles and online gurus) and the sheer amount of them is becoming ridiculous

In theory, after washing my face I need to use; a toner, my anti-spot gel (prescribed by my doctor) a serum for my face/eyes - it would seem no skin care routine is complete without some sort of serum these days - a pore minimiser, an eye cream, a moisturiser, eye/face primers. That’s 9 products before I even get started on my makeup!

Because I've added each of these gradually over the last few years I haven’t really noticed just how many goodies I've started "needing" to use every day, which has got me curious about what everyone else uses on a daily basis. Are you a cleanse, tone and moisturiser girl? Or have you been sucked into the world of serums, primers and concentrates too?

16 comments:

Madlen said...

i use a toner,a face cream and a base.after that i aplly the make up.It s not that hard;).

Pepper said...

I just used facial cleanser and toner during day. The toner I'm using currently is pretty moisturising. At night or days when I'm not wearing makeup I would add moisturiser and serum to reduce acne. Student budget restricts the amount of products I can afford at one time.

Phoebe said...

I use cleanser (sometimes exfoliater) toner, moisturiser, primer, WOW! That is a lot! xxxx

Ashchronicles said...

I'm an cleanser, toner and moisturizer kind of girl~! =D Oh, and if I have the time, a little dab of eye cream and sunscreen ^^

Argyrousa said...

for me is: cleanser, toner, face serum, eye cream, moisturizer, sunscreen, concealer, powder... and then if I have time blush and eye make up... hmmm... that's not a small number... =D

Dee said...

I used to go through a whole palaver in the mornings, but I've been trying to cut back on the number of products I use - I'm not sure it's good to be slapping so many things on (no science, just my own qualms). Now in the morning I'm strictly cleanse, tone and moisturise, including eye cream. In the evenings I use makeup remover/cleansing oil and a cleansing milk, then tone, eye cream and either moisturiser or serum, not both.

petitderriere said...

YES I know what you mean, over time you just keep adding more and more because you feel like that's what you're meant to do.

I've tried to reduce what I use, mainly to save money lol.

I often take showers in the late afternoon. So I use cleanser in the shower, then when I get out I use Lancome Genefique (only started using that recently) and finally moisturiser. I'll use a spot cream if I have some zits.

In the mornings, I just wash my face with water and then apply a light moisturiser.

Amy said...

I'm still into the normal cleanse & moisturize sorta girl, but a lot of my friends in Asia who use 4+ products a night seem to be getting wonderful results! I guess you just need to get your products to work in harmony. :)

Hebridean Sprite said...

I totally know what you mean, just so many things! In the morning I usually end up not doing all of it- I use my cleanser on my clarisonic then I do my acne gel then my serum then either my moisturizer or Sunscreen then my primer then foundation. It's just never ending! I really with I could find a great SPF moisturizer that sinks in well and doesn't aggravate my acne. Great post!

Tracy D said...

Exactly, it's becoming like a part time job in itself. During the day I try & limit it to cleanser, moisturizer, sunscreen. I typically use serums & exfoliants in my night time routine in addition to all the other makeup removing, cleansing, etc. Exhausting :)

Marie a la Mode said...

I use a makeup remover and cleanser. Then I use about 4 different creams at night and a moisturizer in the morning. A little excessive? Maybe!

borabora said...

coucou la crème estée lauder me tente beaucoup !!!

LabelSnob said...

Whoa! That IS a lot of product! In the morning I use face wash, Exfoliater and my Clinique City Block (for SPF and as my primer).
In the evenings I use my fash wash, toner (I think toner is a MUST), RoC retinol serum and Clinque's Dramatically Different GEL.
I def use more at night!

Audrey♥ said...

eh I just use a facial scrub and moisturise and then sometimeess if I feel fancy I'll cleanse and tone.

LiAnn - Sparklecrack Central said...

Daily, I use (morning) cleanser, moisturizer, sunscreen. Sometimes I'll use a primer under my foundation, sometimes not. Then I'll use (night-time) makeup remover, cleanser, serum. I'll use spot cream as needed, which isn't too often.

All Made Up said...

Thanks for your comments – I absolutely love reading about other peoples skin care routines… partly cos I feel less guilty if I’m not the only person who uses LOTS of products and also because I find it encouraging to know people get fab results from using the basics! :)