Blog Sale

Wednesday 10 November 2010

Maybelline Super Stay 24hr review

First things first! (as opposed to first things third?) I have to address the “lasts for 24 hours” claim because in my opinion it just doesn’t! I must confess that the longest I’ve worn this is about 18 hours – that was during a looong Friday at work followed by a nice evening out - but even that was enough to let me know it wouln’t hold up well for a full 24 hours

I’d got home at about 1.30am and being a total slave to my skin (which still totally refuses to behave itself) I was straight into the bathroom to wash off my makeup. Now there was still quite a lot of this foundation/concealer combo on my skin but it was far from fresh looking and I definitely think anyone would’ve removed this and reapplied before going out in public again!

Though as far as I’m concered that’s not really a big problem cos I never wear my foundation for more than 12 or 14 hours anyway and in those cases this has held up fantastically well!

Have you noticed that there’s a bit of an obsession with matte finish foundations recently? Personally I don’t want a matte look – I want a nice natural youthful dewy glow that simply looks like my skin only better and that’s exactly what this delivers. I have combination skin and I think this looks fantastic even on my slightly oily t-zone. I bought my incredibly pale, dry-skinned 15 year old sis a bottle too and she absolutely adores it. Très generous of me, no? :)

The texture is lovely cos it’s fairly thick and damp so it stays moist as you apply which gives you plenty of time to work with it. Also this doesnt “set” like a lot of foundations so if you want a more matte finish then I definitely recommend a powder to dust over the top of it... The coverage is excellent and even after a bad nights sleep I generally find that the coverage is sufficient to hide my dark circles and the little red areas at each side of my nose. Oh and did I mention this is only £8.99. Seriously.

As for the concealer, well I was so impressed by the foundation that I absolutely had to have this. The first thing that pleased me (other than the price - £5.99 for an awesome concealer that has already lasted me ages? Yes please!) was the wand applicator. I much prefer these to the pots or little squeezy tubes because I think this is just so much more precise.

For the most part I use this to cover my almost constant chin breakouts... we’re talking seriously massive hideous cartoon-witch-like spots . And not just one or two! This doesn’t run away with it’s tail between it’s legs at the mere sight of the area like most concealers but actually rises to the challage and does a mighty fine job! Thanks to the texture of the concealer I can use it anywhere on my face so I don’t have to switch between products for my under eye area, spots and other blemishes

Er, I started this as a quick, short, precise review but it’s verging on a war and peace like epic so I’m gonna leave it there. If you’ve managed to get through my ramblings I wanna congratulate you and thank you for sticking around for the duration :)

P.S. Just one other little unrelated thing! (I cant seem to shut up now. Grr!) I was looking after my nephew overnight and my sister packed everything I'd need. I pulled out the cream for his nappy rash and the name really caught my funny bone...

17 comments:

liketreasure said...

i'm looking for a good concealer, i've been using a clinique one for ages, and it's just too expensive to repurchase all the time. i may check this one out if you think it's really good. seems worth a try! :) x

liquoredonlacquer said...

I love the concealer, will have to try the foundation!! =)
thanks for the post!!

xox
liquoredonlacquer.blogspot.com

Melly said...

great review, going to buy these tomorrow! :)

Miss War Paint (Nic) said...

Great review! it just goes to show though that certain products can work for some and not others. I find this foundation to be the exact opposite of what you said. I find it chalky and hard to blend and a bit too matte. Everyones skin is different though! I suffer from oily/slash dryness! Nightmare! I might give the concealer a go! xxx

FunnyFaceBeauty said...

Great review. I recently tried the new Pro Longwear foundation from MAC and found that it lasts a really long time, but this would be a lot cheaper. I also tried the Pro Longwear concealer and didn't think it did anything, so I will definitely try this concealer out.
Thanks!

Emily♥ 에밀리 ♥エミリー said...

Thanks for the review! :)

Kaitlyn said...

i was using the US version of this a few months ago.. i liked it, except the color closest to my skin tone still was too pink. my skin has yellow undertones and i couldn't seem to find a shade that matched my skin nicely.

Jenni said...

18 hours is good enough! May i ask what's your MAC Skin shade and which shade of this maybelline concealer you're using :)?

Stacey said...

Lovely post! I'm still in love with my MAC F&B but I do admit that when my skin is playing up a bit I could do with a bit more coverage. I'm switching between F&B and Chanel Pro Lumiere at the mo, this could be another one to try! Thanks Mrs! x

http://thehqofbeauty.blogspot.com

UhhSpork said...

haha the butt paste! that's supposed to be really good! you can use it on anything you have that's dry and it'll make it stop chaffing in no time! good post...i've recently discovered i have dry skin (i had always just assumed it was oily because of my nose and chin but MOST of my face is actually quite dry) so i might just give this a try!

Ayu Muhamad said...

Gr8 review.. gonna try these stuffs ^^
I love Maybelline btw.

" A beauty blogger named Justine " said...

Butt paste!! So funny ;) I really want to try this concealer but im decieding between this one or the boujouris one???? x

Marisa said...

Thank you for this review!
I don't want the matt look either, even though I have oily skin, for me the natural dewy look it's always the best! Revlon colorstay on me, lasted ages!!

Stevista said...

I recently ordered the foundation off ebay, so I'm waiting for it to come :) I'm really excited to try it :) LOOOOOOL on the concealer description and on the butt paste, what a name hahahahaha!!!!

xxx

Unknown said...

aw man! i was about to get that concealer at rite aid the other day b/c all maybelline cosmetics were 40% off that day. but i decided to try the eye studio gel liner instead. i wish i got the concealer now b/c i haven't found a good drugstore concealer yet!! darnit.
but thank you so much for this blog post :) it was very very helpful
xox, Lisa

All Made Up said...

Thank you for the comments! I’m totally amazed at how many people mention MAC when talking about foundation. Really makes me wish I could splash out and try a few of them.

So far I’ve only tried the Mineralize Satinfinish Foundation and to be honest I wasnt too impressed. I’ve got the impression that I really need to get my hands on a bottle of MACs face and body foundation! :)

Jennifer my MAC shade is NC20 – I’m using light beige in this concealer

Justine I love the Superstay 24hr concealer but I think the Bourjois Healthy Mix one gives more coverage, unfortunately the trade off seems to be that it’s also slightly more drying on the skin

Unknown said...

Hi there! Thanks for the blog visit. I too have this foundation and i am impressed. I haven't worn it in over or close to 24 hours, but after a long day at work, i find that my makeup/skin doesn't look too shabby overall.
my only gripe is that here in australia the bottle does not come with any dispenser. just a screw top cap. =messy!