Blog Sale

Sunday 18 December 2011

Liz Earle Cleanser Vs Superdrug Cleanser

Liz Earlr Cleanse and Polish Hot Cloth CLeanser and Superdrug Vitamin E Hot Cloth Cleanser
Happy Sunday all! Hope you had a lovely weekend. I had a seriously busy week so Adryen and I spent today watching films (I highly recommend Let Me In) and munching biscuits. And if there’s a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon I certainly can’t think of it :)

Anywho, it occurred to me during the week that I’ve never reviewed Cleanse and Polish by Liz Earle *Le gasp!!*

It’s one of those beauty products that has become a real cult classic and is adored by millions (me included!) but with the influx of other cleanse and polish style products I've branched out and tried a few different ones over the last year or so. Not because the Liz Earle one is lacking in any way but simply because the grass is always greener…

One of my favourite copy cats is the Superdrug Vitamin E Hot Cloth Cleanser so I’ve included some info on the classic Liz Earle and the new Superdrug products below

Scent
Liz Earle : Strong, slightly medcinal smell of Eucalyptus and Rosemary… Very refreshing and actually smells of clean
Vitamin E : Subtle, slightly sweet scent of cocoa with a little hint of almond. Totally inoffensive and the perfect smell to start or end the day with

Texture
Liz Earle : Thick, rich, creamy and incredibly dense
Vitamin E : as above. Only difference is that this becomes more loose quite quickly so it gives me the chance to really work it into my skin – rather nice cos it actually feels like I’m working all the gross-ness out from around my nose and chin area (apologies if I've just put you off your dinner)
Results
Liz Earle : When the weather has been miserable and dry-skin-inducing this is the cleanser I’ve gone back to again and again. It does exactly what it says on the tin so my skin is always left feeling gorgeously clean and soft without that tight uncomfortable feeling that is often part and parcel of using a wash off cleanser
Vitamin E : My cheeks and forehead have been feeling particularly parched recently so this has been a godsend. I’ve found that it leaves my skin looking brighter and clearer and has calmed the spots that are currently intruding upon my chin and jaw line. I’ve found that this leaves a my skin feeling more hydrated that the Liz Earle version which is absolutely perfect at the moment but it’s also reason enough for me to not recommend this to people with oily skin – I reckon there’s just too much chance it’d overload a more oily skin!

Packaging
Liz Earle : If bought alone this comes in a 100ml pump bottle which gives 66 measured pumps of product so if used morning and night should last a month. The bottle pictured is one I got in a set from QVC a while back
Vitamin E : 200ml tube comes in a box… I’d say one of the splodges on the back of my hand is the perfect amount to use over the whole face. I’d opt for twice as much if I was taking it right down my next and décolleté though

Price
Liz Earle : 100mls plus 2 cloths = £13.75
Vitamin E : 200 mls plus 1 cloth = £3.99 (though it’s on offer for £2.99 at the min)

I should probably mention that I always remove my makeup before I cleanse so I’m not entirely sure how these work against heavy duty foundations and eye makeup. They both claim to remove every last trace of grime but I’m sure I’m not the only one here who cant help being a tad sceptical of those kinda claims

I know some people absolutely love the Liz Earle range and wouldn't dream of trying anything else - if it's not broke don't fix it n all that! - but I'm happy to use any old stuff as long as it gives results so when I'm picking up a cream cleanser in future it'll definitely be the cheap Superdrug alternative

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realise there was a superdrug version, what a bargain for pretty much the same thing!! thank you for the tip

SuperSummer said...

I have to try the superdrug one now - used to use liz earle years ago and was thinking of repurchasing - but will always try the cheaper option first!!