Blog Sale

Monday 11 July 2011

High-end foundation dupes - Double Wear Light

It's day two of my foundation dupes week and I decided to put my money where my mouth is and actually wear two foundations at once… Now if I was just hanging round the house this wouldn't seem like a big deal but I spent the whole day at work then went to visit my best friend in hospital (he fell during a fishing trip and broke his leg) so it was kinda important that I didn't end up looking like Two-Face from Batman :)
High-end : Estee Lauder Light
Price : £25.50
Shade : 2.0 (they actually refer to it as “intensity” on the packaging instead of shade but that seems a tad pretentious for some reason!)
Drugstore : Revlon Colorstay
Price : £12.49
Shade : Buff, Nude and Sand beige

I have Colorstay in a few different shades so it was easy to find one that matches my Estee Lauder Double Wear Light. To keep things fair I even used a different foundation brush for each foundation because it seemed like I'd be cheating if there was some Estee Lauder residue left on the brush when I went to apply the Revlon one. I didn't spend any longer than usual applying two different products but I spent about 10 minutes wandering around the house and into the back garden with a mirror to see if my face definitely looked the same on each side before I left for work!

No one mentioned me looking a tad strange and even when I was leaving work at 5pm my skin still looked even and neither side seemed to be fading more than the other. So far so good

These foundations would definitely make it onto my top 10 list because they give a really nice natural matte finish to the skin without looking like a mask… As much as I like a perfected finish to my makeup I'd rather it looked like my own skin instead of just makeup and I can't stand foundations that dry to give a powdery effect - very 1950s but it's just not a look I'd choose to go for on a daily basis :)

And talk about long-lasting! If I apply either of these foundations over a primer I can pretty much guarantee they'll still look exactly the same at 8pm as they did when applied at 8am! Today is a perfect example of this… I left the hospital at 7.30pm and then met Adryen for dinner; at wich point my skin still looked like its regular-non-two-tone-self

My only bugbear with the Colorstay is that it doesn't come with a pump dispenser. I know this isn't really a big deal but it always gets on my nerves, mainly because I never manage to pour the right amount on the back of my hand. Though I reckon that’s a pretty small price to pay for such an awesome product

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings ♥

7 comments:

The Peach said...

Good to know the Revlon is a good dupe! I always hear people raving about the Double Wear and haven't ever went out looking for it. And for half the price, you can't go wrong!

LabelSnob said...

GREAT post! I love my Revlon Colorstay but I 100% agree WHY WHY WHY doesn't it have a pump? I waste so much product! :(
Thanks for going through the day with 2 foundations on just for us! :)
Great review...
XOXO

ohyouprettythings said...

Wow! Thats a lot of foundation!! Great post! :] I love dupes!

Emily (Massachusetts Mask) said...

It literally makes me DROOL looking at your foundation collection!

I would love to try the Revlon ColorStay, but the one you have is for "Normal/Dry Skin", so they make one for oily skin? (I hope so, dying to try it!)

I love these dupe posts, can't wait to see more <3!

lalalucy1000 said...

Love your dedication to testing these foundations haha. I have both double wear and colourstay, and I think the colourstay wins hands down for me and its so much cheaper :) x x

Joy said...

Ooh, great comparison! I have EL Doublewear, but think I need to check out Revlon Colourstay now! All your dupe posts are making me want to buy lots of foundations!! xx

All Made Up said...

The Peach I always feel obliged to try any new Estee Lauder goodies :/ It might be cos they sold me my first ever high-end foundation which got me hooked but now when they release something new I'm at the counter straight away with my poor credit card it hand :)

LabelSnob I really dont get it because it seems to be the only complaint people have about colorstay and it's such a small thing to fix!

MassachusettsMask they certainly do! It's one for combination/oily skin and I have it too (my skin goes from seriously dry to an oil sleek from month to month) and I reckon it's definitely worth a try :)

lalalucy1000 I'm the same! I think it might be because I feel a little bit smug when I'm applying my colourstay cos I know it's just as good but half the price of double wear. You really cant beat that!

Joy if you buy a lot of makeup online I recommend fragrancedirect.co.uk... they have some seriously bargaintastic foundations; I've been known to call into a store to colour match myself with the foundations I like then I go online and order them. Sneaky, no?

http://www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/revlon/revlon-colorstay-normaldry-skin-30ml/invt/0033348/?htxt=Yh5mcG7XercMeMF13YNZD3%2ByzcekHZduARAaLPqGEeNvs7f%2FfluqNCsIK48v2MA15ntloCtMARbr%0AIo%2FMOYT5Jw%3D%3D