Blog Sale

Wednesday 3 November 2010

Bourjois Bio Detox foundation/concealer review

Hi all, hope you're having a fantastic evening :) Just thought I'd do a little review of the new Bourjois Bio Detox foundation and concealer because I'm a huge fan of the Bourjois range and had very high hopes for these. I'm also a total sucker when it comes to advertising so I bought these the day after they were released here in the UK and have been using them regularly since.

Lets start with the foundation. Have you ever come across a completely perfect product that does exactly what it says on the tin (and more!) and even manages to smell great and cost little at the same time? Nah, me either :) But I must say that this has come pretty close.

First of all we have the packaging; nice bottle, pump dispenser to prevent wastage, decent sized bottle for your pennies? check check and check

Next we have the smell which is rather nice and quite fruity but nothing to write home about. And the texture? Well it's runny but not so watery that you can't get good coverage, so I've found it handy for every day wear cos you can go for a very light coat that still looks great but it's definitely buildable if you want the extra coverage

My first complaint about this product (Come on, I'm British - you knew there'd be a complaint somewhere!) is that it dries seriously quickly so you don't have a lot of time to blend. Personally I do my makeup fairly quickly but I like to know that I have plenty of time to work with my foundation should I need it!

The final result I achieve with this is always really lovely - it's a matte finish so works wonders when my t-zone is a bit oily but is gentle enough not to dry out my cheeks. And as a lot of your guys already know I have problem skin around my chin and jaw - by problem I mean seriously prone to breakouts - and this hasn't irritated the area or made it worse. Though I'd like to point out that it hasn't exactly done anything to improve it either, but then I guess that would be a lot to ask from a foundation :)

My second (and final complaint) is that it doesn't last long enough. I think I've been spoilt by Rimmels Lasting Finish, Revlons Colorstay and Maybellines SuperStay 24hr foundations so I'm use to products that last all day long. Now this doesn't actually claim to be a long lasting product but I'd just prefer it to look fresher by the end of the day

Now, onto the concealer and I'd like to start by saying that this review could really be summed up in one word. Meh.
Obviously that wouldn't be much of a review so I'm gonna pad it out a wee bit :) The first thing I noticed (and disliked) was the little roller ball applicator, which just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I reckon it would be ok if you only used this concealer under your eyes but I need to use it on my blemishes and at the sides of my nose too so the roller ball just seems like a bit of a rubbish gimmick that doesn't add anything to the product.
The texture is nice because it's thin and still manages to give good coverage that doesn't just sink straight into all the little crevices *coughwrinklescough* in my skin but like the foundation it's very quick drying so once you apply it you best get to work blending it really quickly!

Oh and a few final details...

Price? Foundation - £10.99 and concealer - £7.99 (not bad but not exactly bargain of the decade)

Would I buy them again? Foundation - hell yes and concealer - nope, not likely

It's raining cats n dogs here in Belfast so I'm off to make some tea and head to bed with a good book. Hope you enjoy the rest of your week!

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

it sounds lovely.

Leticia said...

The foundation sounds nice.

The Editor said...

Heard so many stuff about the foundation. To be honest, as I am a total food addict, the fact that everybody says how nice it smells makes it more attractive to me. yeah, even though my kin sucks and is not allowed to feed on bad ingredients like fragrance :P

Dylana Suarez said...

Very nice review!


Just came across your blog!

colormenana.blogspot.com

Noir said...

This is a very good review! Thank you.
Currently I am thinking about buying Bio Detox or Vichy's Dermablend.

Christina Marie said...

I have a small sample of this foundation that i haven't tried yet. I keep hearing mixed reviews about it x

-AnGiEpInK- said...

Wow!!..We don't have that brand here..So bad..If not I would love to try it.. I haven't found any great or best foundation and concealer yet..

Unknown said...

The concealer sounds excellent. Too bad i have SOOOOOOOOOOO many ive gotta work my way through :(

Enter my blog giveaway with over $400 worth of prizes http://superficialsydney.blogspot.com/ xx

R.ChamberofBeauty said...

Hey great review..They sound really great!!!

Jenni said...

thanks for your review! have been wondering about this range for ages :D

Lisa said...

Great review x
I think I will stick to my Revlon as I like good coverage x

Rentu said...

hey have you tried max factor foundation, how good is it for oily skin

Anca Pop said...

i recieved a sample of this when it launched here but haven't tried it yet. You have made me curious to try it

Jo Woods said...

great review, I love trying out new foundations and concealers, I'm a right sucker for new advertisments too. Foundation sounds pretty good :) xxx

LillianZahra said...

Great review. I was looking at the concealer the other day and wondering how the roller ball would work out! x

Melly said...

lovely review!

Rachelx said...

Good review, I probaby won't be using this though as I'm quite slow at doing my make up so I won't be any good with quick drying foundations :-)

Leslie said...

You did an awesome review. The foundation sounds nice :)

Stina said...

That is a great review.. I tested this on my skin in boots and found it to be very dry so I left it.. Interesting to see you say the same thing.
I think it's fairly expensive for a Bourjous foundation, I thought they'd be around the £7 mark- shows I don't ever look at the prices really..

Dani said...

I have the exact same issues with the foundation as you do! Makes me really unsure about my feelings on it, on the one hand I love the coverage and smell, on the other it has so many downsides...argh! I haven't tried the concealer yet and I must admit after your review I probably won't be buying it :) x

Aimee. said...

i think the 'healthy mix' one isnt fresh at the end of the day eaither, x

Radiant Make Up said...

ooh I haven't seen this before, I'm not a fan of the healthy mix but I do love the ten hour sleep effect :)

" A beauty blogger named Justine " said...

The concealer looks lovely in the shop! I really want to try it! :) xx

Anonymous said...

Great review! I've heard as many good reviews as the bad ones on the foundations so i'm in two minds in whether i should get it or not? xxx

FunnyFaceBeauty said...

Hey Joy

If you have a chance, please check out my 'Dare to Wear' challenge for AIDS Charity. For everyone who recreates a look posted on my blog, my parents and I will donate money to The Stephen Lewis Foundation.
You can check it out here:

http://www.funnyfacebeauty.com/2010/11/dare-to-wear-challenge-3-for-aids_03.html

Thanks
Alicia

All Made Up said...

Thanks for all your lovely comments! I think this is going to be one of those love it or hate it foundations. Though my skin is kinda odd and badly behaved so I’m glad to see you guys had a lot of similar experiences with it!

Rentu thanks to your comment I’ve just posted a review on Max Factors foundations. Hope it’s at least a little bit helpful!

Neekeexoxo I reckon the worst thing about drugstore brands is that you cant just go up to the counter and ask for a sample – you could probably give it a try in the shop though to see what you reckon cos there’s nothing worse than splashing out on a product and only using it once :)

FunnyFaceBeauty that sounds like a great cause so I will definitely have a look

Nadine said...

Great post, the foundation sounds lovely! I might get it:)
Thanks for your comment:)

x

Marisa said...

The dry fast thing is always a turn off for me. Revlon colorstay dried pretty quickly and it would be awful to blend it!! I'm trying to finish up all my foundations so I can buy the Laura Mercier mineral powder and only have three foundations in my collection: the Laura Mercier one, MAC mineralized skin finish and Maybelline dream liquid mousse (:

All Made Up said...

Nadine I'm looking forward to heaing what you think if you pick it up!

Marisa I think a lot of people hate the fast drying aspect - I guess there's nothing more annoying than feeling rushed when you're trying to apply makeup! I'd love to try the Laura Mercier mineral powder too but it's £25 in the UK - waaay out of my price range :(

Flamante said...

wow! thanks for the review! hope it comes soon to india! i really like your blog!

Brenda said...

try using a damp foundation brush to apply or dab with damp fingers.. the concealor works well this way..